Jul 14, 2014

Meeting My Idol

Chad's mission president came home two weeks ago and last night they had a get together at their home here in Provo. We planned to go, of course. I was kinda beside myself for a few reasons. His mission president and his wife were very influential for Chad and the short time he was out in the field. Chad respects them both very much. During Chad's mission I was affected by them through Chad and how he changed. We were able to change together as we wrote and I could see the impact that President and Sister Tanner had on him, changing me as well.

I was excited to meet these two influential people because of that impact, but also because of just who they (she) was. Tanner. Yes. John S. Tanner and Susan W. Tanner. President Tanner was called to be the new first counselor in the General Sunday School Presidency at this past General Conference (April 2014). But it was mostly Sister Tanner that I was excited about.

Susan W. Tanner was the Young Woman's General President from before I got into YW's to right before I turned 16. She was such an influential leader for me. I looked up to her so much during those first four years in YW's. I couldn't have been more excited to meet her last night since I have always looked up to her and Sister Elaine S. Dalton. Well, we had taken Kathrynne with us and after I got a hug from her we got talking about being mothers for a bit. 

She said something that really impacted me and made me feel even more confident that I have been making the right choice about being a mother and stopping my college education. It meant everything to hear from her that she respected young couples and mothers who sacrificed so much for their children. I know that this is what I am supposed to do. After having her as a leader and someone I truly have always looked up to I know that I am doing well. I have been very humbled by this experience and am extremely grateful to have met her.

Thanks to the Tanners for opening their hearts and home to so many. You have truly touched my heart.

No comments: