Jun 2, 2014

The Vaccination Post

Vaccinations: As I will be a mother soon, I think about these things more now....

For those that know me well enough, know I am terrified of shots. I mentally freak out for some reason. I have a true phobia. I thought it was a phobia of needles in general all this time, but this pregnancy has shown me that I can draw blood just fine (it may not be my favorite thing, but I can do it) but I freak when I have to get a shot. Weird. Some of you may even know that I have not gotten the flu shot for the past four years. With that, please know that my choice to not vaccinate myself yearly with that particular vaccine does not, in any way, mean that I am against getting my children vaccinated for flu, MMR, chicken pox, ect.

Here is my reasoning for not getting the flu shot for myself these past few years. 
I fought my mom and dad (mostly my dad) about shots every year, mostly in high school. I finally buckled down to them every time and the same thing happened every year. I was always really sick shortly after getting the shot. For example, I got pneumonia, like twice. It wasn't fun. That was always my fight. I didn't want to get that sick every year. I finally moved out and haven't had the shot since then.

Have I ever gotten sick since then? Well yes, but no more than an asthmatic woman would with how bad the air gets during the cold months. Of course I get colds, but who doesn't? The odd thing is, I have not been nearly as sick during those months that the flu is most common since 2010, the year I started not getting vaccinated for the flu.

I have come to find that I react poorly to the vaccine. I have nothing against it. I know many that seriously benefit from it. Because I have not been getting the flu shot, I have been much more aware of the way I wash my hands, blow my nose, cough, ect. I make sure that I do my due diligence in trying to keep the germs away because I know that it isn't just me who is vulnerable, but it is others as well. Shot or no shot.

Chad also has some negative effects from the flu shot and has not gotten it in quite some time either. However, I told him that we have to get them starting this fall. We know that we cannot be good examples for our children about getting shots if we do not show that we can and are willing to get them ourselves. I would never be able to look my child in the eye and tell them to buck up and get the shot, when I don't myself. I cannot tell them to be strong if I am not showing that I can be strong myself.

Chad and I will be talking with our doctor and letting him know that we both react negatively to the shot and will be getting help and advice on how to work through this, or go with alternatives to keep us healthy around our little children, as well as being able to be good examples for them. Our doctor is awesome that way and I know that he will help us out.

Now, once again, just because I have not received the flu shot doesn't mean that I will not vaccinate my children. Like I said above, I want to show my children that it is a good thing and not harmful. I want to be that example. I found an article today that I really liked. It was a blog post by a Dr. Jennifer Raff about vaccinations. It was a wonderful read and she links to other articles and studies to show her research and understanding of why vaccination really is important.

Something that I really liked in this article she posted, was that in the end she said to not just base a decision like vaccination, on one sided view points on the matter. She encourages you to really educate yourself. She encourages you to read those articles and studies and to learn how the immune system works. She wants you to know for yourself.

My education and decision to vaccinate my children doesn't need to be furthered any more than what I previously knew before this article.

I know. I sound really close minded with that statement. However, after seeing how vaccines and modern medicine in general has performed many miracles in my family's and personal life and having already done research on matters like "should I vaccinate my kids," I know what good can truly come from it.

Are there side effects? Of course. There always are. But talk with your doctors. Make them communicate, but do all this with respect. Doctors have been given bad reputations because of other doctors and their horrible responses or bad treatments and bedside manner. Find those doctors you can really trust and talk with. That is the only way to ever really get some understanding.

I encourage you to also educate yourself, like Jennifer suggests to us as readers. It doesn't have to be limited to just vaccinations either. Learning about the body, how you function, is probably the most important education you can gain. Don't be scared of the medical jargon. Ask questions. If I can, so can you. All you need is the desire to know and understand.

Here is the article for you to read. I encourage you to do so, for it links up with many other medical studies. And as my last plea, vaccinate your children. :) Help a sister out. I will be helping you out.

Dear parents, you are being lied to.

No comments: