Oct 16, 2014

23

As my birthday is coming upon me soon, I have been thinking a lot about the things that I have done in my (soon to be) 23 years of life. It actually is keeping me up at the moment. (Sometimes I hate being a night owl) I have made up three lists to put things under; Gospel, Education, and Life Experience. Pretty much anything that doesn't go under the Gospel or Education lists will end up on Life Experience. Humor me as I go through my life and try to put all of my memories and experiences that have made a great impact on me these past 23 years into those three lists.

*All of these are things I have learned and taken away from certain experiences, so the education one is strictly all about school, not just learning. If it was all about learning then I wouldn't have any other lists.*

Gospel:

  • Gained a testimony of:
    • My Savior Jesus Christ
    • My relationship with my Heavenly Father
    • The Book of Mormon
    • The true gospel
    • The leaders of the church and how they are truly called of God
  • Have had some great callings
    • Relief Society instructor
    • Dating class instructor
    • Church History instructor
    • FHE Ma
    • FHE Co-Chair
    • Served with my husband in a YSA ward
    • and now Activity Days
  • Have been through the temple to receive my own Priesthood Ordinances
  • Have performed temple work for the dead
  • Got sealed to the love of my life (part of those ordinances but I figured I should add that as a special one since that was a completely different experience on how I got there...)
Education:
  • Went through all of my elementary and secondary schooling with good grades (Don't know how now that I think of it)
  • Graduated from a wonderful high school
  • Was the second graduating class from that high school (GO SKYHAWKS!)
  • (Even though I won't finish...) I went to college at BYU
  • Figured out how I actually learn a little too late
  • Came to know that I have the passion to be a doctor after all
    • Too bad it isn't what I really want from life though
  • Learned all about the human body (which is something I will always remember and always brush up on. My most memorable thing about college has to do with those classes where I learned about the body I have been given.)
Life Experiences (Here is a doozy of a list... hang on people!):
  • Learned that not every boy is nice (as kindergartner)
  • Learned that not all teachers are like my kindergarten teacher, aka nice and compassionate (as a 1st grader)
  • Learned that being the new kid in school where everyone else knows each other is hard
  • Learned that horses are my soul animal 
    • and that they are super hard to build out of snow; possible but hard
  • Learned that life throws you curve balls and sometimes they land you in the hospital
    • not a literal curve ball... although I love baseball/softball and played it around the time this lesson comes from
  • Learned that I was more like my brother Ammon than I originally thought
    • Thank you Spina Bifida
  • Learned that even the most strict teacher wants you to do well 
  • Learned that teachers that look like scary women can become a woman that you want to emulate because of how loving and understanding they are, especially when you are embarrassed
  • Learned that reading is a wonderful escape 
    • Thank you Mr Dhal (Witches) and Ms. Rowling (HP series) for helping me see that
  • Learned that some teachers really can be just plain rude and hold up to their reputation
    • But you go with it anyways because of the other kids in the class
  • Learned that some boys will never stop crushing on you, all through elementary, middle school, jr high and high school, especially when you don't want them to... making it super awkward
  • Learned that I was good at history and math and didn't mind doing that homework
  • Learned that I LOVED the trumpet and was DANG good at it
    • Went from 9th chair (I came into the class later in the term) to battle it out for 1st chair with two other boys for the rest of the year.
  • Learned that I was a good singer, like my other siblings
  • Learned that I valued dance over doing a play
  • Learned that I had seasonal asthma, which changed my voice from a 1st Soprano to a 2nd Soprano 
    • I ended up loving that change
  • Learned what it meant to be a "real woman" on what should have been the best day of my life (thank you 14th birthday... on thanksgiving..... NOT!)
  • Learned that I valued dance over show choir, unlike my sister
  • Learned that I valued classical training for my voice MUCH better than what I had been doing prior
    • Thanks goes to Mr. Bills for that one! I can never repay you for what I learned from you, not just for my singing too.
  • Learned that I valued dance over a play.... again 
    • Loved Little Women, but I missed dance a lot.
  • Learned that I was extremely prone to getting injured around the same time of the year
  • Learned that dance meant EVERYTHING to me and I would not be anywhere if it were not for the love I got from my fellow students during an extremely hard time
  • Learned that I deserved better from a boy and should come before himself
  • Learned that I wanted more from a relationship than just a good kisser
    • I dated too many guys that didn't want to really have good conversations
  • Learned that I was great with computers when given the right training
  • Learned that science was my thing, not history
    • I could apply it, not just analyze it
  • Learned that I must have some good dance skills, better than I thought
    • I got in as a Dance Ed major after all
  • Learned that Folk Dance was my calling
  • Learned that high school isn't life and those friendships never really last
  • Learned, even after not believing it, that the friends you make in college will be forever friends
    • Thanks Kayla.
  • Learned that I had a lot to learn about myself 
  • Learned that my desires started to change, slowly but significantly, from what I wanted my senior year of high school/freshman year of college
  • Learned that there was more to life than what I thought 
  • Learned that it doesn't matter what you think you want, it matters what the Lord really wants for you
  • Learned that although my desire to go on a mission was good, it was not what I needed at the time
    • and should NOT feel put down by what other sister missionaries were saying at the time (this was right when the age got dropped... I could have been gone a month later because I would have turned papers in the July prior to that announcement)
  • Learned that there was a man that loved me and I loved him
  • Learned how special the temple was
  • Learned how amazing being a mother is
    • and to a daughter especially
I have so much more to learn and to experience, but I would never trade my 23 years of life (more like soon to be 23) learned lessons and gains for anything. 

Here is to another 23 years PLUS! 

No comments: