Oct 7, 2014

Sometimes...

Sometimes, I don't want to be a mom.

I love you more than life itself, but there are some days and some times that being a mom doesn't seem worth all of the frustration, anxiety, tears, irritation, ect. 

You have been trying to roll over for the past few days. My question to you is why can't you try rolling over from your back to your stomach when you are on the ground? I wouldn't even care if it was while I was changing your diaper. But when you only try and do it when I am putting your diaper on, while on the changing table, it makes me so nervous. 

Kathrynne, I know you are hungry. That is why I have a bottle ready, in my hand trying to have you see that there is food just for you. The same kind of thing happens when I know you are tired. What is so hard about just giving into the exhaustion? You know you are happier when you do so. But. You spit out your paci, won't stop wiggling your legs, and won't close your eyes. I'm trying to help you, but you must not see it so you continue to wail for quite some time.

There are those days when you just want to be held. Some days I will give in and hold you pretty much all day. However, most days I can't. I can't because I lose the feeling in my arm, hand, and fingers. On these days, you don't like being held unless you are facing out and can see everything in front of you and I. That makes mommy's back, shoulders, and arm (particularly the right, since you tend to prefer that side) ache and need serious TLC. I can't always hold you all day so I have to let you cry so I can get some relief too.

You normally are the sweetest child and love to kick around and sit in your swing while mommy folds clothes, does a bit of cleaning, and attempts (and pretty much always fails) to makes you laugh. Those small giggles. The way you put your head to the right shoulder when you smile at me. The endless kisses I get to give you. Those rare cuddles I get from you right before you fall asleep. The moment when I know you have finally fallen asleep in my arms. When you look deeply in my eyes and say thank you, when you have realized there is food in your mouth. When you rock tummy time with a smile. When you kick and kick with all your might and turn yourself around with your legs so I have to constantly readjust your position on your little kick n' play. They way you suck on your hands and fingers and drool all over yourself because of the spit bubbles you have learned to make.

Those are the moments of every day, no matter how hard, exhausting, emotional, frustrating, irritating, and so on, that make me glad I am your mom. Yes, sometimes I don't want to be a mom, but that doesn't make me ever regret being your mom. 

Sometimes, I just need to take a step back and get some time to myself to remember those precious moments I uniquely share with you every day. Those moments remind me of how much I love you and how happy I truly am. Those moments help me know that I have made the best choices for me and our family.

Sometimes: I don't want to be a mom. Most times:  I love being a mom. All the time: I love being your mom. 

1 comment:

The Duke said...

I think you captured every mother's thoughts on any given day very well.
Well written, Kaitlin.