Jan 6, 2011

Explain what?

My Mom put something on my family blog (you can look at it here) and so I have to explain.

At BYU there is a club called the International Folk Dance Club. It is the longest standing and working club at BYU. It has been there for 50 years now. The cool thing about this though, is there are teams to try out for and you will perform at the end of the semester. The touring teams PAC (Performing Arts Company- now World Dance Company) and Back-up are the main teams during the Fall Semester. SPAC (Spring version of PAC) is the main company during Winter semester while PAC is touring. This tends to be a lot of the members of the back-up team and then some.

The next team under these teams is called 2RB. 2 for the time slot and RB for what building. 9 and 10 Wisk are in the Wilkinson Center and are about the same level of difficulty. 8 Wisk and 1 Wisk are the same as well. Only 8 Wisk is offered during the Winter semester and 1 Wisk is offered in the Fall.

At the end of the Fall semester they had the auditions for those that were already on a team to go higher or on to one that would work better with their schedule (sometimes the case). 2RB was almost filled up at the end of these auditions. They had one spot for a guy and three spots for girls.

Well, last night I auditioned for a team on kind of a whim. I wanted to at least let them see my face and know who I was even if I couldn't get on a team. I was confident that I would get on a team of some sort but the only one that I could get on that worked with my schedule was 2RB. Yeah.... like I was really going to get on it right?

I went and had fun last night. We learned a part of the Ukraine National Dance the Hopak and that was super fun. We also learned a dance that they performed in World of Dance/Christmas Around the world that was only the girls doing it. It is full of foot work. I love this dance and I caught on pretty dang well. Well we started learning an Israeli combination when Greg (one of the teachers) pulled me aside and wanted to talk to me. I didn't really think much of it but I went off to the side with him and I saw in his hand a card that said 2RB!!!! He said to me, "Congratulations! We would love to have you on our 2RB team this semester!" I just said thank you and that I was excited to be apart of this, but inside.... AAAAAAHHHHH!!!! I was one of THREE girls that made it that night! I am am so excited! I start my first tomorrow. As of right now, I am on the second highest ranking Folk Team at BYU for the semester while PAC is on tour and SPAC (basically the back-up team) is the top company!

Well, that is the cool thing I had to explain. :)

5 comments:

Dave and Tana said...

That is so awesome Katy! Congrats!!!

Lokodi said...

I'm totally going to brag about you to all my friends. :)) Congrats girl. I'm proud of you.

Lindsey

The Duke said...

Maybe we can get the whole Utah gang to Christmas Around the World next year. Yipee!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on making the team you wanted. So awesome for you! Wow!

Papa Doc said...

Like Lindsey, I am going to brag on you. This is so cool. YOu got it in you to do great things and you are well on your way. Keep it humble, though. We'll do the braging.

Dad Clark